Ghosts of Christmas Past

In December 12 – 15, 1862, the union army decided to try and cross the Rappahannock River at the city of Fredericksburg, Virginia. The ensuing fight was, to say the least, a debacle. Thousands of Union soldiers lost their lives in a vain attempt to dislodge a well-protected and entrenched force of Confederate soldiers and artillery. I had the chance to investigate parts of the trench works on a snowy night in December. One of the areas I wanted to see was the trench works where general Maxcy Gregg and his South Carolina Brigade entrenched on Jackson’s Left Flank.

I wanted to do some EVP at this location for two reasons. The first, it was the only spot where the Union forces actually made it to the Confederate defenses, and secondly, it was the location where General Gregg was mortally wounded. General Maxcy Gregg was a brilliant tactician and a well-loved commander, his only drawback was that he was hard of hearing, which very likely cost him his life in this action.

General Meade (USA) led his three brigades through a wooded and swampy area that, for some reason, the Confederate commander in the area decided did not need to be covered. Big mistake. Meade saw this and took advantage of the lapse in effective coverage by the Confederates. He drove a wedge between the Confederate lines and ran right into Gregg’s Brigade. At first Maxcy Gregg thought that Confederate troops where falling back, so he ordered his men to hold fire. He then rode out in front of his men to check on what was happening, the Yankee troops saw a Rebel general on a horse and let loose a volley. Gregg didn’t hear or see the musket fire and didn’t hear his men shouting at him to get back, suddenly a mini-ball ripped through his spine. His men engaged in hand-to-hand fighting as reserves came up and plugged the gap, but the damage to Maxcy Gregg had already been done.

We did an EVP session where Gregg was mortally wounded. As we walked into the area another investigator and I saw shadows moving in the woods towards us. I then heard a horse whinny behind me so I turned, but saw nothing. I asked the other investigator with me if she heard anything and she said no. We shot some infra-red video and took some still photos as we did the EVP session. As usual, I said thank you to the ghost soldiers for interacting with us after we were done. As I turned to go back to the trench work, I heard a male voice, in a distinct southern drawl, “Welcome.”