Hey there again, been a wild and wooly couple of weeks but I am back behind the keyboard. Not too sure of where to go with it this week but here goes…
Maybe we can touch on last week’s Curiosity Sparc’d Podcast…first off, let me get the main thing off my plate and give credit where credit is due on the Black Panther story I covered which was from the Mysterious Universe site and was written by Paul Seaburn. Next I wanted to dive once more into the what I thought was one of the main take aways from the first section of the book I discussed “the Entity Letters” and that was that disbelief in the Paranormal and Psi phenomenon is just as important as the believing. It sort of gives us a base line to work from and is also there to keep the most of us honest….and even those that do lie and cheat help keep people talking and folks engaged.
Let’s dip into something that makes for a prime example…not sure how many of you readers are familiar with spoon bending and that in decades past when people didn’t use screens to communicate through and actually did it in person, it was all the rage to have a spoon bending party where you would call up a dozen people or so, invite them over, serve some snacks and drinks, and sit around in circles trying to bend silver ware with their minds. People were blown away by this phenomenon and it garnered a lot of attention. Heck, the US Military and Intelligence were head over heels for it that they secretly sponsored a lot of parties in effort to find people with legit Psi abilities that they could recruit into classified government Psi programs like Project Stargate.
Of course with anything that becomes popular, you soon have those out there that will exploit people’s fascination for fame and/ fortune…it did not take too long that when folks could not figure out how other people were doing it legitimately, and with the almost religious-like belief in dis-belief, that experimentation and testing soon got folks like Stage Magicians and Con Artists to a point to where they could do a damn fine job faking it. That was all well and good for people like the Amazing Randi, whom while I believe he and others like him serve a greater purpose, now had leverage to go around and tell everyone that anyone who claimed they could bend a spoon was a charlatan and liar regardless of how legit their claims were or not. Even though he is a ‘Magician’ he has made it his whole goal in life is to and be sure to remove as much magic as possible from people’s lives and grounding those that hold to their beliefs into dust. As I said, we need some people like the above to help keep people honest but when you start throwing the baby out with the bath water, you are taking the extremism to the far other side, but that is a rabbit hole for a different day.
Anyway, on to our point…after Randi and others like him had finished razing the fields and salting the earth of people’s beliefs, the popularity of spoon bending become more of a closet fascination and was soon replaced with parties revolving around Tupperware. Topics like spoon bending, psi abilities, and other paranormal happenings soon became faux pas and a topic for fluff pieces during the Halloween season and to admit you had any legitimate interest in those fields was to have yourself singled out as a kook. It was not until the early 2000’s that the Paranormal came back into popularity with shows like Ghost Hunters and Most Haunted and with it almost a reverse effect in even believers hailing to be a ‘skeptic’ and a ‘de-bunker’. It’s the new sheik…not trying to call out those of you that are researchers or any of my friends and family in the field, but I want you to think about how many times you have heard yourself when trying to explain an event to a layman or skeptic that you have added the disclosure that you had a ‘skeptical mind’ or you ‘always trying to de-bunk’ so that you feel a little less judged by a complete stranger you will probably never see again cause that opinion will really one day in the future…
Where I am taking the long road about getting to is that too many of us see the world of Ghosts, Hauntings, Cryptids, UFOs, PSI, and other mysterious occurrences in this reality as straight black and white, real or false, when in reality there is a gradient where one fades into the other creating all kinds of shades of grey and opportunities of one evolving into the other. Situations where like:
· The Endfield Haunting had all the earmarks of a legitimate oppressive haunting but after getting the taste of local fame and not wanting to let it go, one instance of instance of fakery tarnished the whole case for the rest of time.
· The Philip Experiment where scientists created a fictional tragic life story of a ‘ghost’ named Philip that haunted that location and spread it to people that came into the lab in order to see if belief could create…and create it did as people were told the story, odd occurrences started to occur in the lab and soon full on spiritual communication started with an entity named Philip.
· Old Fashioned Spiritualism is fraught with examples that go both ways of fakers that were surprised when their tricks were turned real and those that were long respected for the phenomenon they were able to produce admitted to faking it latter years to fill in the gaps between real occurrences so it would keep up belief of their followers.
· Remote Viewing that was considered a laughable practice for years when it first came to light only to find out that the government had been investing a great amount of time and resources in to for just as long as they were getting tangible results and usable intel from it.
· And yes, lastly spoon bending…what was an example of Telekinetic Psi abilities that was lab testable became a mockery after the world became saturated with con men and stage magicians that could do their own ‘stage’ version of it.
All I am asking is to be true to yourself and those around you…embrace the weird and don’t feel like you have to justify yourself to anyone but on the flipside, don’t believe so much that you lose sight of reality and let others control your view…hang out in the grey areas, enjoy all the weird and wild things that are out there just waiting on you to discover them, and most of all don’t let anyone steal the magic from your life…